Beauty: H&M matte lipstick in Victoriana review

As I was informed by my girlfriends who are all just as obsessed with the new H&M beauty collection as I am: H&M recently added matte lipstick to their line of products, retailing at €9,99 like their other lipsticks. I am a big fan of how matte lipsticks can make your lips look all pillowy, full and soft like velvet, and I never understand why women's magazines always tell you that mattes make your lips seem smaller because that's definitely not the case for me. Obviously, I was eager to drop by and see the new mattes for myself. Our H&M only has about five of the fourteen shades I spotted online, which is a bit of a letdown, but I still managed to find a colour that I couldn't resist taking home.

Beauty: H&M matte lipstick in Victoriana review

I went back and forth a bit on Victoriana, because purple and me are not the best of friends. Most of the time, I find purple a bit too much, too harsh, too vibrant, to stand-out to work with my style. And that applies to clothes as well as to makeup. However, Victoriana has a dustiness to it that mutes the shade and makes it a lot more wearable than your average punchy purple while still being a definite stand out colour. Better yet, this is a neutral purple. Not truly cool (which can often look almost grey on the lips), nor truly warm, which means that this one should suit many different skintones. I bet that this would look like a rather subtle mauve on people with a darker skintone than mine. Kylie Jenner would rock the SHIT out of this lipstick.

Beauty: H&M matte lipstick in Victoriana review

Victoriana isn't a true matte, if you ask me, more like somewhere on the matte side between matte and satin lipstick. That means that the formula is less drying than a true matte, but it also doesn't have that amazing staying power, nor that pillowy effect on the lips that matte lip products give you. I would like this to be a bit more matte, but dabbing a bit of translucent powder over my lips after applying Victoriana can give you that finish. I really love mixing Victoriana with my Bourjois Rouge Edition in Beau Brun, which leads to a matte end result that is a deep, burgundy rose (see me wear the mix here).

Time for a full face look! I paired Victoriana with an elongated cat eye, falsies (Katy Perry x Eylure Cool Kitty lashes) and a soft matte eye look using my Naked 3 palette (Strange, Limit and Nooner). This look works so well with my darkly dyed hair!

Beauty: H&M matte lipstick in Victoriana review
Eylure x Katy Perry Cool Kitty falsies, H&M Victoriana purple lipstick
Eylure x Katy Perry Cool Kitty falsies, H&M Victoriana purple lipstick
Beauty: H&M matte lipstick in Victoriana review

Yeah, no one needed four full face shots, but I couldn't choose because I liked all of these pictures so much. And sometimes a girl should just embrace her vanity. Cheers!

No comments